Trail Regulations

Trail Regulations

Click here to view the changes to the Motorized Snow Vehicles Act.hand_signals

  • All snowmobiles must have the registration native to their state or province.
  • To drive a snowmobile legally, a valid driver’s license or a snowmobile operator’s permit is mandatory.
  • All snowmobilers must be able to provide proof of insurance for their sled.
  • Speed limits are 20Kmh in town and 50Kmh out on the trails
  • Approved helmets are mandatory at all times.
  • Permits are required on all OFSC trails.
  • In order to ride OFSC snowmobile trails, a valid trail use permit must appear on the windshield of your sled.
  • We suggest you purchase your permits by selecting one of the clubs where you are planning on travelling……”Buy Where You Ride”
  • Season, Classic, Multi-day permits (All permits must be purchase online, Multi-Day permits are a minimum of 2 days, at



OFSC Responsible Riding Actions

  • stay on OFSC trails
  • close gates where applicable
  • report property damage of any kind
  • avoid riding late at night too close to homes
  • leave tracks not trash
  • help preserve small shrubs and saplings
  • avoid disturbing domestic animals or wildlife
  • be polite and respectful of landowners and their families
  • leave private property when asked to do so
  • use the trail only for snowmobiling in the winter
  • stay off the trail during all other seasons
  • obtain permission before camping, setting a fire or having cookout along the trail
  • use toilet facilities provided by clubs or at local pitstops
  • do not contribute to noise pollution by altering stock exhaust pipes
  • obey the speed limit
  • refrain from obnoxious or boisterous behavior
  • do not drink and ride.

Snowmobiling and the Law

  • While operating a snowmobile, the same rules of the road and penalties apply as for driving a car, including possible fines, loss of driver’s license, criminal record and/or imprisonment.
  • Ontario requires the mandatory use of CSA approved safety helmets while operating or riding a snowmobiling.
  • All Ontario residents must register their motorized snow vehicles (MSV) with the Ministry of Transportation, display the registration numbers and show proof of insurance.
  • All non-residents must produce evidence of insurance and registration or bill of sale and comply withOntario’s snowmobile regulations.
  • Non-Ontario residents who are not compelled to insure their snowmobile in their own state must be covered while in Ontario. They may do so through their car insurance.
  • All Ontario residents must display a current validation of their MSV.
  • Both resident and non resident drivers must be at least 12 years old and hold a motorized snow vehicle operator’s license. Those 16 and over can use a valid driver’s license.
  • In order to ride OFSC snowmobile trails, a current valid OFSC trail permit must appear on the windshield of your sled.
  • The maximum legal speed limit on Ontario trails is 50 kilometres per hour (35mph)

To snowmobile legally in Ontario, you must have:

  • A valid driver’s license;
  • Proof of snowmobile ownership;
  • Registration;
  • Insurance; and
  • Helmets.

Customs Info

  • Citizens and legal residents of the United States do not need passports or visas to enter Canada as visitors; however, it is a good idea to carry some identification, such as birth, baptismal, voter’s or naturalization certificates that shows your citizen that shows your citizenship just in case you are asked for it when leaving or re-entering theU.S..
  • Visitors who enter Canada from a country other than the U.S. require a valid passport and in someinstances a visitor’s visa. Canadian Immigration offices, embassies, and consulates issue visas. Questions about entry to Canada may be addressed to: Canada Immigration Division, Canada Employment and Immigration Centre, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0J9.


It is now the law in the Province of Ontario for each sled using OFSC trails to display a valid snowmobile trail permit. This requirement applies to OFSC trails on Private, Crown, and Municipal land, and is enforceable by police agencies, Stop officers, and Conservation officers. REMEMBER TO BUY LOCALLY AND SUPPORT YOUR CLUB!